Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Homemade Planting Mix

My goal is to be as independent of commercially premade, premixed products as possible. So when my buddy (and fellow farmer) bragged to me about his homemade soil mix, I had to give it a try.

Kamon's Seed Starter Mix

  • 50% Compost
  • 40% Peat Moss
  • 10% Sand


If you're making a large quantity try adding the sand small bits at at time so it mixes well. So far I've planted flats of lettuce, spinach and chard using this mixture and they're doing incredibly well. The mix has just enough to bulk to hold moisture but enough grit to drain properly.

4 comments:

  1. mwahaahaaha!!! **steals recipe** I hate using commercially-produced seed-starter... I like to know what's in my dirt :-/ And in my experience, the store-bought seed-starter is fine and dandy for getting the seeds started, but I have to plant them into different soil pretty quickly or the seedlings don't do well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to what she said^.:)

    Thanks for the recipe! I'll have to try it out once I get meself some sand...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! It really is superior to anything you can get at the store...you'll see what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know much about gardening but that sounds like a really loaded mixture. What's mildly amusing about seed-starting, no matter what soil mix you use, is when the plants are two and a half feet tall, but the weather hasn't improved enough to put them in the ground!

    ReplyDelete